I love salty snacks (I also love ice cream, dark chocolate and gummy, fruity candy, but that’s a story for another day). Salty snacks are where it’s at but they can be tasty and healthy at the same time (novel concept, I know). [Aside: I craved – and ate – salt and pepper Kettle chips so often when I was pregnant with Jack that I ended up with a very sad gallbladder and had to have it removed when Jack was 6 months old. Salty snacks can be very bad, though still delicious and on the upside, now that I don’t have a gallbladder, I don’t have a gallbladder attack when I eat those chips – whoot!]
Here are my favorites to nip a salt craving in the bud without requiring a pesky surgery after too much indulgence:
- Popchips | Have you had these? If not, you need to find them now – I’ve seen them at Costco, Meijer and Target. They come a multitude of flavors (I’ve had the BBQ and Salt & Pepper varieties) and are delicious and like nothing else I’ve ever snacked on. I served the BBQ ones at Jack’s birthday party and the very large Costco bag was all gone when everyone went home, though I still had plenty of tortilla chips and crackers left. Plus a serving size is 22 chips – can’t say that about traditional potato chips, can you?
- Smokehouse Almonds | Another favorite of mine – there is something about the saltiness mixed with the smokiness that is addictive. Liam also loves these and likes me to make him a snack mix with the almonds, raisins, marshmallows and Craisins. Do yourself a favor, try them very soon (like today).
- Whole grain tortilla chips with tomatillo salsa | Really, the tortilla chips are just a means to an end here, I love the Meijer Gold Roasted Tomatillo Salsa – I could just eat it plain, but that would be weird so instead, I throw in some tortilla chips and call it good. Goodness, my mouth is watering.
- Bagel thin toasted w/ margarine and sprinkled with garlic salt | When it comes to savory foods there isn’t much I don’t like garlic salt on but it can’t be a snack by itself, enter: bagel thins, a perfect little delivery system for the garlic salt, all warm and buttery. If you prefer something cold, cucumber wedges are also great with garlic salt.
- Butter braid or pumpernickel pretzels with hummus | Snyders makes the best pretzels and they have some fun varieties that add a little spunk to the normal pretzel. And pair them with some garlicy hummus and you have the perfect combination.
Now what are you waiting for, go grab a snack!