- Read more books (a minimum of one a month) [11 – as of Oct. 28]
- Pray EVERY night with the boys
Eat more meals with all four of us around our kitchen table[Sadly, it doesn’t take many meals to achieve this, but it does help to have a new kitchen table.]
- Be a better friend to my family
Prepare house for selling/renting (and preferably, do one of those things)[SOLD and MOVED]
- Work on non-blog writing
Host a dinner party(I count having 12 people for small group around our dining room table)
- Lose 50 pounds
- Move 500 miles (walking, bike, elliptical) [361.1 miles as of 8/27]
Go on a family vacation[Texas – spring break] Spend more days at the beach[Not sure how many is more… but I have a nice tan, so that counts.]
- Procrastinate and worry less; laugh more
- List my gratitude on a weekly basis [working on it]
Make sticky toffee pudding.[Delicious and with dates – it is the yummiest.]
Be the kind of mom who says “yes” more than “no” when it comes to things I’d prefer not to do[not things the kids should not be doing – I’m all about setting boundaries and expectations] Make it to church over 50% of the Sundays in a year.Done
Read one book per month(12/12)
- Continue my exercise and healthy eating habits; adding at least one new-to-me exercise to my “circuit” [I’m thinking punching bag in the basement] Did not get a punching bag and did not continue this for all of 2012, just half. So it’s a half count.
- Make a concerted effort to teach my kids the value of money (this might be lost on Jack at the moment); rewarding them for tasks accomplished and helping them start tithing. [Fail]
Go out of my way to do random acts of kindness whenever possible.
- Go away for a weekend with my husband. [Planned it but then didn’t get to go.]
Do not take anything more into my life without first getting “rid” of something (physical things, my time, etc…)Purged the house of toys and clothes.
- Make macaroons, crumpets and/or english muffins from scratch.
- Practice one random act of kindness per week. (??/52)
Send one “snail mail” letter a month.(20/12)
- Sell $500 worth of stuff on Craigslist. (125/500)
Make it to church twice a month (at least).(12/12) Clean/organize closets.(4/4) Read one book a month.(16/12) Drink more water, eat less bad food, exercise. Get family photos taken.
- Cut my husband some slack.
- Use a calm, measured voice [with my kids] more often than a loud, short one.
40 Before 40
- Take the boys to a hockey game.
- Plan our next trip to Australia.
- Landscape the backyard (perhaps add a fire pit and a fence).
- Go to family camp.
Host a grown-up dinner party.[We had 10 other people over to eat and the kids were in bed – so that counts.] Eat a French macaroon.[Thanks to Mary bringing me back a box from France in August 2013.]
- Go on an at-least two night trip to downtown Chicago with just Simon.
- Sell something on Etsy.
- Do at least five volunteer activities with the kids. [2 down as of 5/2016]
- Take the kids to Mackinac Island.
- Try/create 10 new cocktails. [3/10: Frozen vodka limeade slushie; Knitting Night; Guava Bellini]
- Teach both boys to tie their own shoes. [Halfway there – Liam has learned]
- Go tubing.
- Go on another trip with my college girlfriends.
- Eat at 20 new-to-me restaurants. [13/20: Founders Brewery, Red Hot Inn, Gus’ Original, Grove, Gravity, Licari’s, Good Truckin’ Diner, VanderMills, Harmony Hall, Donkey Taqueria, The Waldron, River House, Manna Cafe]
Re-finish a piece of furniture. Create an office/craft space in the basement.
- Stay at a bed and breakfast.
- Attend at least 10 live music events. [9/10: Milk Carton Kids/Over the Rhine, Ingrid Michaelson, David Gray, DMB, .fun, Brandi Carlisle, Nate Ruess, Mumford and Sons, Rend Collective]
Eat dinner together as a whole family during the week (this means Simon would have to get on first shift, which I have no control over but when that does happen, I do have control over making the food we will eat.) Visit Stef in Cleveland and wherever she ends up after that.
- Go camping for a week.
- See a play/musical somewhere other than in Grand Rapids.
- Send real mail to at least 20 people (birthday and Christmas cards don’t count).
- Teach the kids at least 10 Bible verses. [1/10]
- Go hiking with the boys.
- Create 10 recipes. [1/10: roasted veggies with sausage]
- Do at least 10 Pinterest DIY projects.
- Write letters of thanks to people who have inspired or influenced me.
Host 5 couples we’ve never hung out with/had over to our house.[5/5]
- Create a will and sign up for life insurance.
- Eat meatloaf at five different restaurants. [3/5]
- Make plans for finishing the downstairs.
- Participate in a 5K.
Go ice skating at Rosa Parks Circle. Take at least one of the boys to a (non-kid) concert.
- Fly a kite with the boys.
- Get another dog.
- Put together some sort of scavenger hunt.
- Be a room mom (just once) or be a member of the PTA.
35 before 35
Go camping with the boys.[In Stef’s backyard.] Take another road trip with the family.[Texas 2013] Start a chore chart/allowance system for the kids.[Good behavior chart to earn toys – good enough for now.] Teach Liam to ride a bike. Read at least 20 books.
- Participate in a 5K – walking or running.
Sell our house and move into our “forever” home. Make plans to visit Australia with the boys. Go on a girl’s weekend with my friends. Take a 2+ day trip with just Simon.[A 1-day visit to Galveston and many date nights will have to do.] See at least 5 live musical performances. [5/5; DMB Caravan, Sara Bareilles, Boyce Avenue, The Verve Pipe, Ingrid Michaelson, fun.] Teach Liam to read. Potty train Jack. Go to ArtPrize twice. [2/2] Eat at 10 new-to-me restaurants. [13/10; Marie Catribs, Electric Cheetah, Cabana Tres Amigos, Beltline Bar, Brick Road Pizza, Flat River Grill, Leo’s, Brewery Vivant, One Trick Pony, Marco’s, Ramona’s Table, Stella’s, Perrin Brewing Company] Take Jack to his first movie in a theater.
- Go mini-golfing with the boys.
- Take the boys to a hockey game.
Attempt to grow out my hair for locks of love.[Cut and donated.]
- Send at least 8 “care” packages to out-of-town friends and family. (5/8)
Meet my WW’s goal (way before 35).[First goal met, working on more.] Get Jack baptised/dedicated at church.[Sunday, January 21] Stay at the JW Marriott.[Simon booked this for us but then we cancelled it due to buying a house. In this case, it’s the thought that counts to let me mark it off the list.]
- Stay at a bed and breakfast.
Visit Great Wolf Lodge. [Went to Avalanche Bay – close enough.] Get an hour-long massage.
- Plant a garden.
- Send someone flowers.
Join a bible study. Continue writing this blog.
- Start AND finish a quilt.
Tackle the crazy basement once and for all.
- Re-finish a piece of furniture.
Get the boys sharing a room so we can reclaim a guest room/office/craft space. Get vinyl flooring installed in our kitchen.[Instead we had the cabinets painted and bought a different house, good enough.]
- Travel to and around Europe (Ireland, Italy, France and England are top picks)
- Quit working at a conventional job.
- Write a screenplay or novel.
- Cook an intimidating [to me] type of seafood (i.e., lobster, crab, mussels)
Move into our “forever” house.[7/1/2013 – I think this house counts.] Knit or crochet an afghan. Eat a French macaroon.[8/27/2013]
- Witness a birth.
Take our boys to Australia.[this will obviously happen multiple times but it’s a huge undertaking so I feel like it should be on the list]
- Plant a vegetable garden that consists of more than 10 plants.
Plant a flower garden.
- Visit both coasts with my family.
- Have a great relationship with my children and their significant others as adults.
- Participate in a race.
- Sell something I’ve made on Etsy.
- Throw an outdoor dinner party.
- Take a photography class.
- Work in a coffee shop.
- Own a coffee shop.
- Go to the place in Canada where the river runs backwards (because of the tide).
- Take the kids to Yellowstone.
Go camping as a family.[June 2013]
- Be in Sydney for another New Year’s Eve. [So close, we were in a plane for Sydney’s NYE and it was still NYE in the US when we landed in Australia on Jan. 1, 2012]
Make sticky toffee pudding.[Twice in July 2013] Make spaghetti and meatballs. Make Halloween costumes for my boys.
- Get another tattoo.
- Kiss the Blarney Stone.
- Go to a concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater.
- See Adele live in concert.
- Walk the high line in NYC.
- Tour a vineyard in Napa Valley.
See Mumford & Sons live in concert.
- Go 30 days without buying anything but milk and bread.
Things That I’ve Done*
- Graduate college
- Take a big trip outside of the United States (Kazakhstan, Australia)
- Get married
- Give birth (twice – FTW)
- Get a dog
- Start a blog
- Throw a New Year’s Eve party
- Teach Sunday school
- Learn another language (Spanish, Russian)
- Own a business
- Be a godmother
*These I consider Life List worthy but I’ve already accomplished them so rather than add them to the list to cross them off, I’m just making a new list.