This week’s Music Monday is a bit different… I’m not going to link to the songs I mention because I don’t like them and don’t want to hear them at all. Sorry if you like them, people have different, inexplicable tastes (which 100% explains why my husband and youngest son like Vegemite).
Music I do not listen to:
- Anything by Ke$ha (I hate even typing her “name” and the fact that I had to google it to make sure I “spelled” it correctly)
- Pretty much all of Nickleback’s offerings; though I do sometimes find myself listening to one of their songs longer than intended and then I hear the familiar nasal, whiny stylings of the lead singers voice and off goes the song
- Most 80s hair rock – though I can sing along with almost all of them, they are just no my favorites (sorry, Sandy) but I do love the power ballads (my goodness can those bands rock the power ballads – e.g., Poison’s “Every Rose Has It’s Thorn”).
- Phil Collins, Genesis and Rod Stewart (all of these my husband will listen to which I find strange and disturbing given he also loves AC/DC but then, I love David Gray and [sometimes] Eminem, not to mention a few selections by Sugarland and Kid Rock)
- “I Believe I Can Fly” by R. Kelly (also don’t really care for R. Kelly as a person, but that’s another thing)
- “You Are Not Alone” by Michael Jackson (though I did love “Man in the Mirror,” “Smooth Criminal,” “The Way You Make Me Feel,” “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” back in the day; did not love the video for “Thriller,” which gave me nightmares – thanks, Marty – but still am okay with the song itself)
- A variety of late 90s club/dance hits: “Macarena” (Los Del Rio), “Tub Thumping” (Chumbawumba), “Barbie Girl” (Aqua), “The Thong Song” (Sisqo) [this doesn’t mean I didn’t listen to them back in the day, but I’ve done my time with them and can now move on]
- And, also Kanye West because I think he is a tool.
What songs do you refuse to listen to?
And to cleanse the palate, a song I do like:
Agreed on almost all points. (I sometimes like an 80s hair band cuz it takes me back.) 😉 what’s up with that “I believe I can fly song” anyway? Ive often pondered on why it was ever popular!
I’m not sure why many people are given record deals, R. Kelly is one of them. 😉
When my nephew AJ was a baby, any time he heard anything by Nickelback he would immediately start crying- which my sister and brother-in-law found hilarious- and so of course they would randomly turn it on at times just to see him go from smiling to crying and immediately back to smilng as soon as they turned it off. 🙂
See Nickelback – they are no good.
Sigh. No Bon Jovi? I think we may need to break up.
Oh wait…nevermind. 🙂
You’re still awesome. 🙂
“You are Not Alone” and “I believe I can fly” literally have the same beat. Exact same. Makes me want to jab an ice pick in my ear.
Another do not play- “Red Solo Cup.” Ugh. Hate that song! ( I don’t use “hate” lightly either!)
Oooh – red solo cup – yes, I’ve heard that exactly once and that was one time too many! I do actually like Bon Jovi – they’ve withstood the test of time so they are okay in my book 😉
Oh my, I exactly agree with your song hates. But sadly I enjoy red solo cup because I like creative country music. And it’s just so true!