Shout out to my favorite spam comment of the week on this recipe post for Thai Curried Lentil Vegetable Stew: “There is noticeably a bundle to understand about this. I assume you created certain nice points in functions also.” (submitted by: michaelkorsbagdiscount.com – totally really site, I’m sure – P.S., not really, do not visit it). Yes, I am quite certain I made some nice points and that there is a bundle to understand about that RECIPE.
Disclaimer: I have another favorite creamy chicken chili recipe from my friend, Keri, but it’s not nearly as guiltfree though it is equally as delicious, so delicious I once made the recipe for her when she was coming over for dinner.
I made this new recipe for myself last week for lunches and again for small group last night – both times delicious and oh-so-easy (unless you are my husband who does not like beans, in which case, you are out of luck – well, to the extent that you don’t get to eat this chili but your loving wife will also make you creamy potato soup [from a mix]).
Guilt-Free Chicken Chili
- 2 (ish) cups shredded chicken (I boiled two chicken breasts the first time and the second time I used the meat from a rotisserie chicken)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 cans great northern beans, undrained
- 2 cups corn (I used frozen corn that my friends’ MIL “put up” last summer, but any corn will do – though I think white is best)
- 1 packet white chicken chili seasoning mix (or, for gluten free: 1 packet McCormick taco seasoning + 1 Tbs. garlic salt and 1.5 tsp. cumin)
- 1 can green enchilada sauce or 1 cup salsa verde (The first time I used this Frontera enchilada sauce from Target, the second time I used this Frontera simmer sauce from Meijer, plus some additional green salsa to taste)
- Optional: Large handful of chopped fresh cilantro for the last bit of cooking
Throw all ingredients in large pot on stove and bring to boil and simmer 20 minutes (or put in slow cooker on high for 3 hours). You can cook it longer, it will just get thicker as it cooks but it won’t hurt it, plus your house will smell divine. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, salsa verde and/or sliced avocado.
To go with the chili, I made these Brazilian Cheese Rolls – so yummy and gluten free if you are looking for recipes along those lines.
On a food-related note, for President’s Day, Liam had homework that had him write down what question he would ask the president if he could. His question: What is your favorite food? His imagined answer: vanilla ice cream. So there you go.